Wood Shed Plans
A bit of research – Would you, for wood shed plans?
For many homeowners approaching the point of their lives when storage is becoming a bit of a premium, the old stories and nostalgia surrounding that little building attached to the side of the house begin to take on new meaning. When the tools and bits of this and that too rugged to store inside the home start to overtake the other storage spaces, it’s not surprising that the enterprising handyman begins to daydream about wood shed plans. Once a site of childhood terror – remember the stories of bad kiddies being “taken behind the wood shed” for their corporal punishment? – this innocent structure now gets the chance to redeem its name.
It is a bit of Americana myth that every home with a fireplace has a specific addendum solely for housing the wood to burn on cold winter nights. The truth is a bit less glamorous but infinitely more useful. The modern day wood shed serves rather like a tool or storage shed, just with a bit more romance. Though, of course, I’m sure there still exist the proper wood shed of story and tall tale; they’re simply a bit rarer.
By the time an actual search for wood shed plans has begun, blueprints and a myriad of choices are calling out. But not all wood shed plans are created equal. Calling to be found or not, the prospective handyman will find in his hunt a key truth: there will always be at least one person who inquires – “But why build your own at all?” And, though it may seem obvious to the one hunting the wood shed plans, it is a question worth pondering. After all, why not instead take the easy way out and pony up the funds for a new fabricated shed, since they often serve the same purpose?
The reasons are as varied as the personalities of do-it-yourselfers, but they all seem to boil down to a few core elementary aspects of human nature. So put your search for wood shed plans on a temporary hold and take a look, read a few pointers, and see what you relate to. Your search will proceed more smoothly after, as you renew the quest for wood shed plans with a greater knowledge of exactly what you, the one who’s going to be building the thing, want out of your project.
Research For Wood Shed Plans
Reasons to search for wood shed plans – aka, the easy answers to those looking at you oddly and asking: “Why?”
- Because there is nothing in the world like seeing a structure emerge from beneath your hands and tools and making those two dimensional wood shed plans something you can step inside of.
- The necessity of finding worthwhile ones at this point. If you do not build one at this point, after spending all this time searching for wood shed plans, you will have wasted hours of precious time and lost all excuses for not completing the rest of the “honey-do” list.
- The amusement of being able to tell all the neighbors that, not only does your house have a wood shed – you built it yourself. You can leave out the part about finding wood shed plans to work from.
- Because if you are bound and determined to build something to house the tools you’re building it with, good wood shed plans will help insure those needed tools stay protected and your walls stay up.
Ultimately, the last answer to why you should spend some serious time doing your research is no joke and a real factor to bear in mind while on the quest for free or decently priced wood shed plans for your project. As sentimental as the image may be in a Norman Rockwell painting or a Mark Twain novel, a well built structure should never look rickety or fall apart within a year due to working from poor wood shed plans.
By searching thoroughly in the beginning, many of a project’s potential problems can be avoided easily. Here are the highlights of what proper wood shed plans should contain at minimum:
- Clear diagrams and written instructions to go along with them, in language appropriate to your skill level and experience with similar projects.
- A suggested list of needed materials and tools, preferably with and additional listing of alternates to some of the more obscure or expensive tools. You don’t want to get half way through and realize the rest of the wood shed plans call for a tool that is going to set you back more than the project is worth to you.
- Well drafted measurements and scales to work from – in the measurements you are most familiar with or are comfortable working with. These measurements should not swap from one system to another; beware the wood shed plans that shift from metric meters to US feet or you may end up with something more along the lines of a lean-to.
- Ideally, though this is rare, good wood shed plans from a respectable supplier should have some sort of contact information on them in case of any questions or needed clarifications.
- A summary of sorts, listing estimated costs, dimensions, and other such information.
Depending on your particular needs, the wood shed plans you choose will vary greatly from ones another potential carpenter would. Also, be sure to check for any needed permits or conflicting zoning laws in your area before settling on a final set of wood shed plans. A little bit of extra legwork in the start can save hours if headaches later.